News and Announcements
It might be too early to think about playing hockey, but it’s not too late to register!
We’re trying something a little different this year and keeping registration open all summer so you can register, pay, and be all set to go when the fall season starts on September 4th.
This is especially helpful if you find yourself constantly scrambling to get your registration in at the last minute and/or usually end up paying late fees.
For the fall season, the fee is $230 per player, per tier from now until August 20th. After that, the registration climbs to $305 and space on a team with your friends is not guaranteed.
Click here and follow the instructions to get going.
See you in September!
Be sure to head over to the rink this weekend to catch some great exciting action between teams from Southeast Alaska, Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Whitehorse!
Games kick off TOMORROW (February 25) with the Sister Cities game between Juneau and Whitehorse at 8pm.
This game is sponsored by the Prospector Hotel with support from the Juneau Sister Cities Committee.
The remaining Rainforest games begin at 5:15pm on Friday and concluded on Sunday with championship games beginning at 9:00am. The full schedule is attached to this post.
There will be a beer garden and concessions at the rink.
SEE YOU THERE!
The document 2016 Rainforest Classic Schedule was attached to this post.
The Juneau Adult Hockey Association (JAHA) invites you, your friends, and your family to come participate in the inaugural JAHA Douglas Island Cup hockey tourney. Our goal is to bring great people together to play a great sport and have fun!
The tournament is scheduled for April 15 – 16, 2016.
We have one spot open for registration – register now by visiting:
TOURNAMENT AND ENTRY DETAILS
- Team Entry Fee is $1,100, and is first come, first served based on JAHA’s receipt of a non-refundable $550 deposit.
- Teams must have at least 11 players and a maximum of 16 players, including goalie.
- Players may only play on one team. Exceptions may be made in extenuating circumstances.
- All tournament participants will receive welcome gifts and swag.
- First place cash prizes will be awarded to each division championship team.
- All players must be registered with USA Hockey by April 1, 2016. The membership fee is $40 per player and can be done online at www.usahockeyregistration.com.
- All players must be 18 years of age or older by the start date of the tournament. Age exceptions may be made only for goaltenders in extenuating circumstances.
- Each team is guaranteed three games. All playoff and championship games will be played on Sunday.
- The game schedule will be posted at www.juneauhockey.org and will be sent via e-mail to the team contact/captain no later than one week prior to the event.
- No schedule requests will be accepted. Games begin at 7:45pm on Friday, April 15th and end on Saturday evening, April 16th, at 7:15pm or later depending on overtime and/or shootouts. Please make travel plans accordingly.
- Entry deadline is April 1, 2016, however the event is first come, first served and either division could be closed earlier based on ice time availability and number of teams registered overall.
- A team that withdraws from the tournament after April 8, 2016, will not be refunded.
- A minimum of four teams is required to run a division. There is a 10 team maximum for the overall event.
- Each game will consist of three 12 minute stop time periods with a five minute warm-up.
- Three preliminary games will be played by each team within their division that will determine which teams will advance from each division to the playoff round. Standings and tie-breaker information will be provided to each team captain and will be posted throughout the weekend.
- All playoff and championship games will be played on Sunday.
- If a preliminary game ends in a tie, a best of three player shootout will be used to determine a winner. If still tied, a sudden death shootout will take place with each team getting a shot until there is a winner. Each team will get the same number of shots.
- If a playoff round game ends in a tie, a five minute 4 on 4 sudden death overtime period will be played prior to the shootout described above. During overtime, player substitutions may only be made on the fly and may not be made during play stoppages.
- Visiting teams shoot first in shootouts. Once the team with the least amount of players runs out, both teams may start over.
To help you all start planning around your potential playoff games, please see attached for the JAHA Winter 2016 playoff schedule!
Championship games will be held on Sunday, April 3rd and we are looking at Friday, April 22nd for the end-of-season banquet.
The document 2016 Winter Playoff Schedule was attached to this post.
Happy New Year JAHA!
The Winter 2016 season is nearly here. Thanks to all who have registered, we’ve got 28 more players this year than we did last year at the same time, a 10% year-over-year increase, and as a result were able to form three new teams. Many of these players are new to JAHA, which we would like to attribute to everyone’s efforts to spread the word about adult hockey in the Capital City. Nice work!
Teams are still be tweaked here and there, so be sure to double-check your team and schedule before the first games on Sunday. You should have already received an e-mail invitation to your team (sorry 40+’ers, your teams are still in the works). Accepting this invitation will allow you to send and receive messages in your team, indicate your attendance at games, and ties into the TeamPages smartphone app that will sync your game schedule to your calendar. If you can’t find the e-mail invitation – the subject will be “Check out our new team website” – check your spam or junk folder first, then let us know at email@example.com.
With games starting on Sunday, there are a few important notes to touch on for both JAHA veterans and those new to the association:
- JERSEYS! Your JAHA Vice President, Treasurer, and Tier and Team Reps have spent a tremendous amount of time and personal effort working out a process to efficiently distribute team jerseys at the beginning of the season and collect them at the end so they can be inventoried and laundered for the next season’s players. We are still losing jerseys each season and WE NEED YOUR HELP. Please make sure that when you take a JAHA jersey, you sign it out on the sheet provided in your team’s bin. Jerseys that you sign out become your responsibility and failure to turn it in could mean not being allowed to play future JAHA games. If you know that you will miss your team’s last game, please make sure that your jersey is returned to a JAHA Board Member. Jerseys turned in to rink staff are not guaranteed to make it back to JAHA.
- TEAM SPONSORS! Know a company that would be interested in a great form of marketing? Sponsorship of a team means not only on-ice advertising when the team is playing, but the logo will appear on the juneauhockey.org site, and if the team wins their tier championship, the logo and team name will appear on the JAHA dasher board at the rink the following year. Additional sponsorship opportunities on the website are available as well. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- There is a Frequently Asked Questions page that provides answers and resources to help understand how JAHA works and why we do what we do. You can check it out by clicking the Frequently Asked Questions link on the left.
- It’s very important to be familiar with both USA Hockey’s rules and JAHA’s supplemental rules. You can find USA Hockey’s rules by clicking here and you can find JAHA’s rules here.
- The most important rules? Don’t fight, don’t argue with the referees (there is zero tolerance for physical or verbal abuse of officials), and make sure your helmet has at least a half-shield attached to it.
- JAHA’s bylaws govern how your association is run and how you can participate, you can find those here.
That’s it! Start stretching, hydrating, and practicing your stick handling. Hit up YouTube for hockey tips and to watch highlights of your favorite players to inspire. Get your pre-game song playlist in order.
— Commissioner Soza