Fall Season is Here!
Summer isn’t quite over yet, but it’s time to hit the ice! There have been a few changes to registration this year and a couple of associated hiccups here and there, but thanks to your patience and all the hard work of your JAHA board volunteers, it’s been pretty smooth. With teams and schedules up, now we just need to get our gear on and start playing.
Because the summer sun may have erased our memories of JAHA seasons past, we do want to take a moment to go through some reminders. Remember, if you have any questions at all, please let us know:
- ONE STICKER, PLEASE: You will be given a JAHA sticker to attach to your helmet by your tier/team reps at your first games. Be sure to get one, they are required by JAHA rules to ensure quick identification of registered JAHA players during games. PLEASE REMOVE ALL OTHER JAHA STICKERS FROM YOUR HELMET – except for the current sticker.
- MIXED SKILL REMINDERS: If you are in a mixed skill tier – Tier 40+ and Women’s Tier – and you need a player sub, remember that the sub in must be of similar skill as your missing player AND you must get the opposing team’s approval for your substitute per JAHA rule C4. One of your players being gone isn’t an opportunity to stack your team for a win; that’s just not very sporting!
- BE A SPORT, EH? Speaking of sporting, we’ve heard some disturbing tales of poor sportsmanship during games – towards refs, players, and spectators. Remember, this is adult recreational hockey and we are all just here to get some exercise and have fun playing a team sport we love. Foul/vulgar actions or language, on and off the ice, are lame and bring everyone down, not to mention can result in disciplinary actions up to and including suspension. Remove yourself from situations if you feel like you’re ratcheting up and remember, there’s no shame in just heading to the locker room for a few minutes to cool down. Please be respectful to each other, keep calm, and do your best to maintain control of your words and actions.
- RULES, RULES, RULES: In addition to USA Hockey rules that apply to all JAHA games, JAHA has its own set of rules that are also enforced. Any disciplinary actions called for in JAHA’s rules, like suspensions, are in addition to any USA Hockey actions. Take some time to be familiar with both sets of rules before the season starts.
- SPONSORED JERSEYS: A big shoutout is due to all the individuals, organizations, and companies who’ve helped us out by sponsoring a set of jerseys. Sponsors purchase, store, and maintain the jerseys for JAHA, which reduces our storage and laundering needs, which is incredibly helpful. Thanks to our sponsors, Coed Tiers A, B, and C are now completely sponsored and we have a few more in Tier D, Tier 40, and Women’s. THANK YOU ISLAND PUB, LOUIE’S, CARPENTERS LOCAL 1281, RICK DRISCOLL (Driscoll’s Dugout), KENSINGTON, THUNDER MOUNTAIN DRYWALL, SHAW DENTAL, BILL CAMPBELL (Douglas Whalers), ALASKA AIRLINES, COEUR ALASKA, JUNEAU SNOWMOBILE CLUB, JASON LOVE (Salmon Creek Steelheads), HECLA GREENS CREEK, SEARHC, JOE GELDHOF (10th Mountain Division), and EL SOMBRERO. Interested in sponsoring a team in Tiers D, 40+, or Women’s? Please shoot us an email at email@example.com and we’ll work with you on colors and sources.
- TELL IT TO THE BOARD: The only way we can get better as an adult hockey association is if we know where our weaknesses are and the best source for that information is YOU! Please take a moment to fill out our super quick survey at: http://j.mp/jahasurvey
That’s all! If there’s still something you have a question about, check out the Frequently Asked Questions link over in the left menu or get in touch with us using the Contact Us link in the top menu.
Have fun and I look forward to seeing you on the ice!
— Commissioner Soza