News and Announcements
Attention JAHA players,
IT’S JAHA PLAYOFF TIME!
It’s been an exciting season with a bunch of end-of-season ties and very close rankings. Nice work all!
The first playoff games have been scheduled and we will attempt to update the schedule as games are won and lost, but you can always refer to the playoff schedule linked here.
(If you’re wondering why the site has tied teams ranked one way and the scheduled games have it another – JAHA rules have “head-to-head wins” as the first tie breaker, which is different from how the site breaks ties. So if two teams are tied, we look at who won more games between those two games and that team becomes the higher seeded team.)
- JERSEYS: If you have JAHA jerseys (Tier W and 40) and your team is eliminated, be sure to leave your jersey with your team representative or make sure it makes it back to a JAHA board member. If you’re going to miss games where your team faces elimination, it’s best to leave your jersey with someone just in case. Thanks in advance for helping us out with this.
- RULES: Playoff hockey means OT and shootouts! Remember, overtime periods are 5 minute run time and are sudden death – the first goal scored in the OT period wins. If it remains a tie, we go to a shootout. A NEW rule for this season is that after everyone on your team has attempted a shot, anyone on your team may take any number of consecutive shot attempts until a winner is declared! Be familiar with all the rules by clicking here.
- PLAY SMART: Competition can get us all worked up, but be sure to keep cool, play smart, keep your head up and your stick down. If you’re called for a penalty, go straight to the box. If you have a question about the call, calmly ask a ref about it between periods or after the game OR let a JAHA board member know.
- BANQUET: The end-of-the-season banquet is scheduled for the evening of April 14th at the Red Dog Saloon! Remember, this is where you vote for your JAHA board members. This year, the following positions are up: President, Secretary, Member-at-Large A, and all tier representative positions. If you are interested in serving the JAHA membership, this is a great way to do it! If you’d like to know more about the responsibilities and desired qualifications for each of the positions, you can find descriptions in the JAHA bylaws and if you’re interested in running, please send an email indicating which position you’d like to run for and a short description of how you meet the minimum qualifications or responsibilities, as applicable, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have fun out there and we’ll see you on the ice.
— Commissioner Soza
No experience necessary & all abilities welcome
$45.00 for 3 sessions, $15(per) early sign up, $20(per) day of.
March 25th 2:45-3:45pm
March 26th 1:30-2:30pm
April 1st 5:15-6:15pm
The document 2017 Adult Hockey Clinic was attached to this post.
We launched the inaugural JAHA Douglas Island Cup Adult Hockey Tournament last year and we’re looking to do it again, but with a twist: it will happen in August this year.
Fishing will be hot, tourism destinations will be hoppin’, and it will be warm(er) – all things we hope will attract teams from far and wide to our great city and make this the most fun, open, and competitive tournament in Alaska.
We need your help. Do you know people who would come to Juneau to play hockey? Do you know whole teams who’d do it? Do you have connections to rinks and/or adult hockey associations outside of Juneau? If so, please send them the attached flyer and encourage them to print and distribute to anyone who might have an interest.
We are looking at some very Alaskan options for our banquet, like whale watching or zip lining through the rain forest, and we are hoping to arrange discounted airfare and lodging rates as well. It will be awesome.
Again, we will be limited to 10 teams and like last year, when registration opens it will be available to out-of-town teams first with at least two spots reserved for Juneau-based teams.
As more information firms up, like prizes, registration dates, and so on, it will be posted right here on juneauhockey.org.
Stay tuned and spread the word – thanks in advance!
— Commissioner Soza
The document JDIC 2017 Flyer was attached to this post.
Dear Patient JAHA Player,
The email previously sent out had an incorrect link to the playoff schedule (and the incorrect link didn’t even take you anywhere fun). The correct link is below:
Apologies for any inconvenience, frustration, consternation, and/or anger this may have caused.
— The Management
Good day JAHA!
A few updates for your Tuesday morning:
- PLAYOFF SCHEDULE: The final playoff schedule is posted at the rink and can also be found by clicking here. There were two changes from the original schedule published in January, those are marked with an asterisk (*) and highlighted in red text.
- BANQUET: The end-of-the-year JAHA banquet is scheduled for Friday, April 14, 2017. Times and more details will be announced as it gets closer.
- RULE CHANGES: To address playoff games running long and delaying the remaining games during the day, the board is proposing two major rule changes that affect overtime periods and shootouts. (A minor change to the rules was also made to clarify that overtime periods are 5 minutes with a running clock.) FIRST, during the overtime period, it is proposed that all penalties are assessed as a penalty shot for the non-penalized team in lieu of the penalized player being sent off the ice, unless the penalty involves a suspension – immediate and otherwise, which still must be served. SECOND, it is proposed that after all players on a team have had a shot attempt during a shootout, there are no restrictions on who shoots, meaning any player may take any number of consecutive shot attempts until a winner is declared. If you have any concerns about these two changes, please send them to email@example.com by March 16, 2017.
That’s all for today. All the tiers look to have some tight races for seeding coming into the last few games of the regular season. Should make for some exciting JAHA hockey!
Have fun out there and see you on the ice.
— Commissioner Soza
The document Proposed Rule Changes - Playoffs W2017 was attached to this post.