'17 Fall JAHA Reminders & Thanks
Posted by JAHA Webmaster on Sep 08 2017 at 02:08PM PDT in Fall 2017
The season has begun, the soreness is just starting to subside from those first games, and our sleep patterns are rapidly changing. Things are going as expected for the beginning of fall!
A few thank you’s, reminders, and housekeeping items will complete the season kickoff, so here we go:
- SPONSORS: A huge thank you to all the businesses who have sponsored JAHA jerseys! Using sponsored jerseys helps JAHA keep registration fees low by avoiding costs associated with buying, maintaining, laundering, and storing jerseys. Big shout outs to – in no particular order – ISLAND PUB, ALASKA AIRLINES, LOUIE’S, SEARHC, KENSINGTON, CARPENTERS LOCAL 1281, SHAW DENTAL, COUER ALASKA, HECLA GREENS CREEK, JOE GELDHOF (10th MOUNTAIN DIVISION), RICK DRISCOLL (DRISCOLL’S DUGOUT), BILL CAMPBELL (DOUGLAS WHALERS). Thanks to these businesses and individuals, Tiers A and B are completely sponsored and we are working our way toward fully sponsoring all other tiers. ARE YOU INTERESTED IN SPONSORING A TEAM OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO MIGHT BE? Before buying a set of jerseys, shoot us an email and we’ll work with you on colors, recommended quantities and sizes, and custom jersey sources.
- GIVE US A PIECE OF YOUR MIND: We can take it, I promise. We need to know how we can improve your experience because if we don’t know, we simply can’t fix it. Please take a few minutes to take a very brief survey here so we can make JAHA better for YOU: http://j.mp/jahasurvey
- DON’T FREAK OUT, YO: Your tier representatives spend a lot of their personal time trying to create teams that balance competitive parity with honoring player requests. Most of the time, everything works out great, but we’re all human and sometimes there needs to be an adjustment here and there. Within the first two weeks of the season, tier representatives and team representatives will meet to discuss potential player moves to try to balance out teams if things look off. They will work to ensure players don’t miss out on games that they would have gotten to play if they hadn’t been moved. If you are identified as a player who may be moved, your tier or team representative will get in touch with you to let you know.
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T THE R-E-F-E-R-E-E’S: They are there to officiate the game according to JAHA and USA Hockey rules, maintain order, and ensure everyone’s safety. If a penalty is called on you, head directly to the penalty box. If you disagree with a call, wait until immediately after the game and calmly bring it up with the ref or ask your team rep to do so. If you cannot do this and/or still disagree, please contact JAHA and we can get in touch with the Juneau Hockey Officials (JHO) board on your behalf. Any abuse of officials, including swearing – even if not directed at a specific person – can result in at least a minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and can escalate to a game misconduct, which carries an automatic one game suspension imposed by USA Hockey.
- INTRO/TIER D: If you know someone who is interested in hockey, JAHA waives the late fee for those new to the association, so encourage them to join. There is plenty of room and their registration fee will be prorated for the number of games left in the season. If they sign up for both Intro and Tier D, they will get a $20 discount on top of everything else – help us get more people on the ice!
- YOU CAN STINK AT THE RINK, BUT PLEASE DON’T DRINK AT THE RINK: We can’t stress it enough – the rule against possession/consumption of alcohol inside the rink is a City & Borough of Juneau rule, not a JAHA rule. Savikko Park, the park that Treadwell Arena is located in, does allow for open alcohol containers. So if you would like to enjoy an adult beverage after a game, you may legally do so in the park area immediately outside the rink as long as you are not in a roadway.
- JAHA RULES: You should already be familiar with USA Hockey rules , but you also need to know that JAHA has its own supplemental rules and be familiar with them as well. If a JAHA rule calls for a suspension or ban, this is in addition to any penalties assessed under the USA Hockey rules.
- WANT TO KNOW MORE?: Check out our Frequently Asked Questions and if you’re still skating in the dark, please contact us !
Thank you all for being a part of JAHA and contributing to the awesome community of adult hockey players here in the capital city! We appreciate each and every one of you skating with us. See you on the ice!
— Commissioner Soza
There are no comments for this announcement.