News and Announcements
See attached for FINAL teams and schedule for the upcoming JAHA Holiday Jamboree season!
We ended up with six teams, each getting five games between 12/2 and 12/16.
Team names are subject to change as we confirm sponsored teams, but the team rosters and schedules are set.
Once team names are confirmed, we’ll do our best to get teams and schedules loaded into the website, but to be sure you don’t miss any games you should save the attached document and mark your team’s games on your calendar!
See you on the ice!
The document 2018_JAHA_Holiday_Jamboree_-_FINAL.pdf was attached to this post.
Did you miss the first round of pickups for the 15th Anniversary JAHA t-shirts?
No worries! We’ll be doing it again for the start of the Holiday Jamboree this coming Sunday, 12/2.
Swing by the rink between 5pm and 7pm to pick up your gift. If you can’t make it, send someone on your behalf, just make sure to let us know who it is at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember that we only ordered enough for those who signed up by 9/2. T-shirts that are leftover after this Sunday will be re-distributed to those who signed up later in the year and/or didn’t select a t-shirt size at registration. All other leftovers will be given out as banquet prizes next spring!
So if you want your shirt, please make sure to pick it up or make arrangements to have it picked up.
If you do NOT want your shirt, please let us know at email@example.com so we can get it to someone who does.
Dear JAHA Player,
In celebration of JAHA’s 15th year in existence, we have a gift for everyone who registered for JAHA before the Fall games started on September 2nd!
If you signed up by then AND entered your t-shirt size at registration, we will be handing out special JAHA shirts at Treadwell Arena tomorrow, 11/18, from 5pm to 9pm, as Championship Games are going on.
There is only ONE shirt per person, regardless of how many teams/tiers you registered for.
If you need to send someone else to pick up your shirt or you do NOT wish to claim your gift, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks and hope to see you tomorrow!
— Commissioner Soza
Fall playoffs are approaching. The rankings haven’t yet been settled, there are a few tight races going on and it’s going to come down to the very last games of the season to see how Tiers B, C, and Women’s end up!
Remember, in the case of an end-of-season tie for team points, the tie breakers per JAHA rules are:
- Head-to-head wins (if two teams are tied)
- Most wins
- Least goals against
- Most goals for
As always, there is business to tend to:
- PLAYOFF RULES: Because we can’t have ties in playoffs, playoff games that don’t have a winner at the end of regulation enter into a 5-minute run time sudden death overtime period. The first team that scores during this period is the winner. If there is still no winner after this period, a best-of-3 shootout takes place. If there is still no winner, the shootout continues until all players on a team have taken a shot. At this point – and this is still new, so pay attention! – if the game is still tied, once a team has gone through all of its shooters, any rostered skater on the team may attempt shots without restriction, e.g. the same player may make consecutive shot attempts until a winner is decided. The game can’t end until the teams have attempted the same number of shots. All tournament rules can be found in Section E of the JAHA Rules.
- JAHA JERSEYS: As teams are eliminated, the team and tier rep will help to make sure that JAHA-owned jerseys are collected. Sponsored jerseys are the responsibility of the respective sponsor. Please make every effort to get your JAHA jerseys turned in if you know you won’t be around for your team’s final game!
- SCHEDULE: We’ll make every effort to schedule the next round of games on the website as results are known, but always check the attached playoff schedule to make sure you don’t miss a game! (NEW! Once rankings are finalized, a handy JAHA Tournament Bracket file will be posted to make your tournament-tracking life easier!)
- HOLIDAY AND WINTER REGISTRATION: Thinking about the future? Holiday Jamboree starts on December 2, 2018, and is a mixed-skill, fun-first way to burn off those holiday calories. The Winter 2019 season will start on January 6, 2019. Registration for Holiday Jamboree ends on 11/30/2018 and registration for Winter Season ends on 12/16/2018, so go sign up NOW!
Good luck and see you on the ice!
— Commissioner Soza
The document JAHA_Tournament_Brackets_-_Fall_2018.pdf was attached to this post.
Summer isn’t quite over yet, but it’s time to hit the ice! There have been a few changes to registration this year and a couple of associated hiccups here and there, but thanks to your patience and all the hard work of your JAHA board volunteers, it’s been pretty smooth. With teams and schedules up, now we just need to get our gear on and start playing.
Because the summer sun may have erased our memories of JAHA seasons past, we do want to take a moment to go through some reminders. Remember, if you have any questions at all, please let us know:
- ONE STICKER, PLEASE: You will be given a JAHA sticker to attach to your helmet by your tier/team reps at your first games. Be sure to get one, they are required by JAHA rules to ensure quick identification of registered JAHA players during games. PLEASE REMOVE ALL OTHER JAHA STICKERS FROM YOUR HELMET – except for the current sticker.
- MIXED SKILL REMINDERS: If you are in a mixed skill tier – Tier 40+ and Women’s Tier – and you need a player sub, remember that the sub in must be of similar skill as your missing player AND you must get the opposing team’s approval for your substitute per JAHA rule C4. One of your players being gone isn’t an opportunity to stack your team for a win; that’s just not very sporting!
- BE A SPORT, EH? Speaking of sporting, we’ve heard some disturbing tales of poor sportsmanship during games – towards refs, players, and spectators. Remember, this is adult recreational hockey and we are all just here to get some exercise and have fun playing a team sport we love. Foul/vulgar actions or language, on and off the ice, are lame and bring everyone down, not to mention can result in disciplinary actions up to and including suspension. Remove yourself from situations if you feel like you’re ratcheting up and remember, there’s no shame in just heading to the locker room for a few minutes to cool down. Please be respectful to each other, keep calm, and do your best to maintain control of your words and actions.
- RULES, RULES, RULES: In addition to USA Hockey rules that apply to all JAHA games, JAHA has its own set of rules that are also enforced. Any disciplinary actions called for in JAHA’s rules, like suspensions, are in addition to any USA Hockey actions. Take some time to be familiar with both sets of rules before the season starts.
- SPONSORED JERSEYS: A big shoutout is due to all the individuals, organizations, and companies who’ve helped us out by sponsoring a set of jerseys. Sponsors purchase, store, and maintain the jerseys for JAHA, which reduces our storage and laundering needs, which is incredibly helpful. Thanks to our sponsors, Coed Tiers A, B, and C are now completely sponsored and we have a few more in Tier D, Tier 40, and Women’s. THANK YOU ISLAND PUB, LOUIE’S, CARPENTERS LOCAL 1281, RICK DRISCOLL (Driscoll’s Dugout), KENSINGTON, THUNDER MOUNTAIN DRYWALL, SHAW DENTAL, BILL CAMPBELL (Douglas Whalers), ALASKA AIRLINES, COEUR ALASKA, JUNEAU SNOWMOBILE CLUB, JASON LOVE (Salmon Creek Steelheads), HECLA GREENS CREEK, SEARHC, JOE GELDHOF (10th Mountain Division), and EL SOMBRERO. Interested in sponsoring a team in Tiers D, 40+, or Women’s? Please shoot us an email at email@example.com and we’ll work with you on colors and sources.
- TELL IT TO THE BOARD: The only way we can get better as an adult hockey association is if we know where our weaknesses are and the best source for that information is YOU! Please take a moment to fill out our super quick survey at: http://j.mp/jahasurvey
That’s all! If there’s still something you have a question about, check out the Frequently Asked Questions link over in the left menu or get in touch with us using the Contact Us link in the top menu.
Have fun and I look forward to seeing you on the ice!
— Commissioner Soza