Board: Joe Geldhof, Steve Baseden, Steve Quinn, Laine Durgin, Lizzie Solger, Thomas McKenzie, Lorna Wilson, Doug Woodby, Sarah Lowell, Daryl Tseu
Public: Micah Sommers, Jack Gregson, Heather Strickland, Adam Bryan, Ken Arnoldt, Angel Kwok, Jason Soza, Becca Parks, Austin Osterhoust
Call to order 1800
JAHA Publishing-Steve Quinn provided information about where JAHA photos and information are being published. Facebook photos go up just about weekly. He’s working with SE Living Magazine to have a full page article with photos in an upcoming issue. The Empire is being inconsistent with what they want to publish so he’s trying to decipher that.
Recruitment and Incentives
- Laine is working with Play-it-Again to offer 20% cards to first time JAHA players, PIA’s sale system seems to require a physical card to use the discount. Unless they’ll accept a list of people to receive the discount new players will need to reach out to the person holding the cards.
- Discussed advertising in the paper, too expensive.
- Flyer at Coast Guard locations and UAS
- B. Parks and Soza will use old JAHA poster to create a new, awesome poster which will be put up all over town
- Sign-ups will be due 12/26/12 and the season will start 1/13/13
By-law review committee tabled
Tier Layout public discussion
- Survey results per Laine let us know that 40+ is a huge hit, there are frustrations in D stemming from lack of players.
- Concern for people not knowing the game playing in the wrong tier
- Worried that D is unsustainable
- Appreciate the difference between co-ed and women’s
- Belief that 40+ caused some of the lack of D players. If signing up for 40+ there could be a skill requirement.
- Concern that even if some 40+ players moved to D it wouldn’t fix the problem.
- Call to focus on development in D, not mesh into C
- Tier Rep Steve Quinn says that D doesn’t mind C playing down to sub for games and they don’t mind just having two teams
- Suggestion that raising the 40+ tier to 45+ would squeeze some players to other tiers. There should be 3 teams per tier.
- Laine recognizes that there is a call to move people down
- Thomas says he moves people down when he has to based on the shortest amount of time spent in C in addition to skill
- Concern for safety in tiers if people are playing in the wrong tiers
- Suggestion to not allow A tier the luxuries of the best times etc.
Motion: Laine motions for the board to vote, after the public portion of the meeting adjourns, on tier structure. X, C, D, W or A, B, C, W and 40 or 45+. Tabled.
Juneau Hockey Officials Liason Jack Gregson
- A game misconduct is for the rest of the game and the following game. Player can not participate in next game regardless of tier or capacity (no bench coaching either). It is the league’s responsibility to assure that they do not play.
- Thomas requests that they CC all officials when the board is notified of a misconduct.
- No appeal process through USA Hockey
- A player can file a complaint with Juneau Hockey Officials (JHO), addressed to the board president, Jerry Nankervis, and the JHO business manager, Terri Gregson who will respond accordingly.
- They have lost a lot of refs due to abuse of officials. JHO does not tolerate verbal or physical abuse of officials and will issue a match penalty which could lead to a telephonic hearing.
- Laine will address issues to members via email
- USA Hockey has a list of registered players, JAHA will provide to scorekeepers
- Joe Geldhof investigated recent misconduct and will write up opinion. JAHA bylaws allow for supplemental disciplinary actions of an additional 5 game suspension.
- Asks that JHO cc all board members when a misconduct occurs so that more eyes can be on the situation.
- if an individual plays in a game who is not USA hockey registered, the game is no longer sanctioned by USA Hockey, and there is no USA hockey insurance coverage for anyone on the ice, player, referee, or coach.
- Jack let us know that ref evaluators come down to evaluate refs yearly
- They need more refs and will be holding a training soon
- Punishment, future suspension, issued to whole team
Website update from Soza
- to be release soon but after sign-ups so as not to confuse people, using feedback from survey
- will be awesome
By-Law review committee resumed
Committee to consist of:
Heather Strickland (chair), Micha Sommers, Austin Osterhoust, and Laine
Daryl, Sarah, Lizzie, and Ken.
- New logos and shirts would be cool
- 10 year anniversary of JAHA in 2013
- A vote for A,B,C
- A question is posed about balance of teams, Thomas responds that the tiers reps need to be partially responsible for organizing players into teams
- Suggestion to the Board that better communication to members needs to be agreed upon, either email or facebook or both
- Another vote for A, B, C
- Concern for lack of advertising for Board and Committee positions, creates an inner circle, should send an email soliciting help
- Two major issues identified as parity and legacy teams
- A suggestion to think more about tier structure before voting on a change, doesn’t seem like there’s enough information to make an informed decision
- Fluxuation between tier player numbers is the cause of these frequent “problem” tiers
- Cite the cyclical nature of improvement through the tiers
- Concern for the Board having too much say in moving players between tiers
- A call for communication before bumping anyone down or up so there aren’t any surprises and nobody feels slighted
Board Only Meeting
- Suggestion to keep D but at a cheaper fee, keep the classes and limited games.
- Concern for coaching, it’s not free
- Suggestion to use D’s registration fees to pay for JSC Sunday Morning learn to skate classes, work with them to arrange something that benefits the struggling class roster and help foster new players
- Thomas will list 4 tiers on registration as usual and use the posted right to move players and needed
- Foster D
- Call for a conservative change if any
Motion: Laine motions to table tier structure vote until a Board meeting to occur shortly after registration ends (12/26/12). Approved.
Secretary will create email addresses for Board positions through Google for Business for improved communication.
Laine will ask JHO to email the Board as a whole in the event of a misconduct, only the rep for that tier will act
Motion: change 40+ to 45+.
-would need to cut upper or lower talent, would affect non-competitive nature
Denied. Also will not impose skill requirements.
Discussion of how to determine who goes where
- follow bylaws
-2nd season generally sees 22 teams (two more than fall season)
- wait for numbers