News and Announcements
Summer isn’t quite over yet, but it’s time to hit the ice! There have been a few changes to registration this year and a couple of associated hiccups here and there, but thanks to your patience and all the hard work of your JAHA board volunteers, it’s been pretty smooth. With teams and schedules up, now we just need to get our gear on and start playing.
Because the summer sun may have erased our memories of JAHA seasons past, we do want to take a moment to go through some reminders. Remember, if you have any questions at all, please let us know:
- ONE STICKER, PLEASE: You will be given a JAHA sticker to attach to your helmet by your tier/team reps at your first games. Be sure to get one, they are required by JAHA rules to ensure quick identification of registered JAHA players during games. PLEASE REMOVE ALL OTHER JAHA STICKERS FROM YOUR HELMET – except for the current sticker.
- MIXED SKILL REMINDERS: If you are in a mixed skill tier – Tier 40+ and Women’s Tier – and you need a player sub, remember that the sub in must be of similar skill as your missing player AND you must get the opposing team’s approval for your substitute per JAHA rule C4. One of your players being gone isn’t an opportunity to stack your team for a win; that’s just not very sporting!
- BE A SPORT, EH? Speaking of sporting, we’ve heard some disturbing tales of poor sportsmanship during games – towards refs, players, and spectators. Remember, this is adult recreational hockey and we are all just here to get some exercise and have fun playing a team sport we love. Foul/vulgar actions or language, on and off the ice, are lame and bring everyone down, not to mention can result in disciplinary actions up to and including suspension. Remove yourself from situations if you feel like you’re ratcheting up and remember, there’s no shame in just heading to the locker room for a few minutes to cool down. Please be respectful to each other, keep calm, and do your best to maintain control of your words and actions.
- RULES, RULES, RULES: In addition to USA Hockey rules that apply to all JAHA games, JAHA has its own set of rules that are also enforced. Any disciplinary actions called for in JAHA’s rules, like suspensions, are in addition to any USA Hockey actions. Take some time to be familiar with both sets of rules before the season starts.
- SPONSORED JERSEYS: A big shoutout is due to all the individuals, organizations, and companies who’ve helped us out by sponsoring a set of jerseys. Sponsors purchase, store, and maintain the jerseys for JAHA, which reduces our storage and laundering needs, which is incredibly helpful. Thanks to our sponsors, Coed Tiers A, B, and C are now completely sponsored and we have a few more in Tier D, Tier 40, and Women’s. THANK YOU ISLAND PUB, LOUIE’S, CARPENTERS LOCAL 1281, RICK DRISCOLL (Driscoll’s Dugout), KENSINGTON, THUNDER MOUNTAIN DRYWALL, SHAW DENTAL, BILL CAMPBELL (Douglas Whalers), ALASKA AIRLINES, COEUR ALASKA, JUNEAU SNOWMOBILE CLUB, JASON LOVE (Salmon Creek Steelheads), HECLA GREENS CREEK, SEARHC, JOE GELDHOF (10th Mountain Division), and EL SOMBRERO. Interested in sponsoring a team in Tiers D, 40+, or Women’s? Please shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work with you on colors and sources.
- TELL IT TO THE BOARD: The only way we can get better as an adult hockey association is if we know where our weaknesses are and the best source for that information is YOU! Please take a moment to fill out our super quick survey at: http://j.mp/jahasurvey
That’s all! If there’s still something you have a question about, check out the Frequently Asked Questions link over in the left menu or get in touch with us using the Contact Us link in the top menu.
Have fun and I look forward to seeing you on the ice!
— Commissioner Soza
Just a quick reminder that JAHA’s annual banquet and elections are this Saturday, April 21st at the Red Dog Saloon starting at 6:00pm!
We’re going big on the banquet this year for JAHA’s 15th Anniversary. There will be plenty of door prizes, a photo booth, and games along with the great food and drink at the Red Dog. Of course, we will have a slideshow recapping the 2017-2018 season going… unless pre-empted by playoff NHL hockey.
If you are interested in running for the JAHA board, time is running out to put your name in the hat for any of the positions up for election this year! If you would like to give back to the association, this is a great way to do it. Let us know by sending an email to email@example.com if you would like to run for VICE PRESIDENT, TREASURER, REGISTRAR, MEMBER-AT-LARGE B, or a TIER REP position by NOON on Friday, April 20th and we’ll put you on the ballot.
Finally, the banquet is your last best chance to turn in your JAHA jerseys! Take a look in your hockey bag and around your house and if you have a jersey from any of the following teams laying around, please get them back to us:
- 10th Mountain Division
- Bleau Chunks
- Eagle Beach
- Winnipeg Rifles
Hope to see you all at the banquet to celebrate the great year we just had and look forward to another!
— Commissioner Soza
The end of the 2017-2018 JAHA season is near!
It’s been a terrific year for JAHA, with a restructured Intro to Hockey offering bringing new players into the sport, the return of Tier D with coaches, and record-setting registration numbers. Many thanks go out to all the JAHA board members who’ve volunteered their time to making JAHA run, the coaches who made Intro and Tier D a reality, and all of you for being a part of this awesome community!
Championship games for all tiers are scheduled for tomorrow, Sunday, April 8th:
2:45pm Tier B
4:00pm Tier C
5:15pm Tier A
6:30pm Tier 40
9:00pm Tier D
Be sure to come out and cheer on your fellow players as they play for their tier title!
Some housekeeping items and reminders:
- BANQUET: The end-of-season JAHA banquet is scheduled for Saturday, April 21st at the Red Dog Saloon, doors open at 6:00pm. Elections for next year’s JAHA board vacancies will occur at this event, so please make sure to come vote at the very least, or stay and enjoy some time with your JAHA peeps before the summer break!
- JAHA BOARD: If you are interested in serving on the JAHA board for the 2018-2019 season, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know! Serving on the board is a great way to give back and help out the association. We have about 10 monthly meetings and a few ad hoc meetings here and there as needed. Board seats expiring this year are: VICE PRESIDENT, TREASURER, REGISTRAR, MEMBER-AT-LARGE B, and ALL TIER REPS. If you would like to learn more about any of these seats, descriptions are included in the JAHA Bylaws.
- JERSEYS: Tomorrow would be a GREAT day to turn in your JAHA-issued jersey if your team has already been eliminated! We are only collecting jerseys that say “JAHA” on them (the 10th Mountain Division jerseys are the exception). If you have a sponsored jersey, make sure it gets back to your team rep or whoever is responsible for those.
- SPONSORS: Speaking of sponsors, THANK YOU ISLAND PUB, LOUIE’S, CARPENTERS LOCAL 1281, RICK DRISCOLL (Driscoll’s Dugout), KENSINGTON, THUNDER MOUNTAIN DRYWALL, SHAW DENTAL, ALASKA AIRLINES, COEUR ALASKA, JUNEAU SNOWMOBILE CLUB, JASON LOVE (Salmon Creek Steelheads), HECLA GREENS CREEK, SEARHC, and JOE GELDHOF (10th Mountain Division). Interested in sponsoring a team in Tiers D, 40+, or Women’s? Please shoot us an email at email@example.com and we’ll work with you on colors and sources.
That’s all for now! Hope to see you all at the rink tomorrow and at the banquet on the 21st!
— Commissioner Soza
A few quick updates for you on this fine Thursday evening:
- PLAYOFF SCHEDULE: Click here to view the Winter ’18 Playoff schedule, which start on Sunday, March 25th this year (scheduled to avoid spring break as much as possible)! As team ranks are finalized, games will be added to the various tier calendars.
- END-OF-SEASON BANQUET: The end-of-season JAHA banquet will be held on Saturday, April 21, 2017 at the Red Dog Saloon. Time, election information, and more details will be provided as we get closer.
- RAINFOREST CLASSIC: The Rainforest Classic is happening THIS WEEKEND and the Sister City Game is TONIGHT! Click here or on the Rainforest Classic entry in the main site navigation bar to check the schedule, then head to the rink to catch some great out-of-town hockey action!
That’s all for today! Have fun and see you on the ice!
— Commissioner Soza
Do to lack of quorum we had to reschedule our January Board Meeting. It will be held Tuesday the 16th, 5:30pm.
Valley Library Meeting room. Sportsmanship will be one of the topics discussed. Please plan on attending if you have an interest.